History of Engle Motors, Inc.
Founded in 1956 by Paul Engle as a BMW/Triumph dealer, Engles has been a dealer of many brands over the years, including Zundapp, Pirelli, Bultaco, Honda and Norton. But it has always been BMW and Triumph that pays the bills. “We’d sell new Triumph’s in the spring and BMW’s in the fall,” say Norman who bought the dealership from Engle in 1966.
Norman Jones first met Paul Engle in 1958 when he moved from Tulsa and sold his old Harley and a Royal Enfield to buy a ’55 T-bird. Back then, Norman was an aircraft mechanic for TWA who earned extra money by fixing bikes on the side. Engle heard about Norman’s diagnostic skills and challenged him to repair a customer’s T-bird with its ill conceived charging system. Norman re-wired it, giving the rider the ability to shut off various circuits to keep from overloading the system. Engle immediately hired the young man and the rest is, well, history.
Engle Motors will celebrate its’ 65th Anniversary this year. 1956-2021